What are you looking for?

Tuesday 22 October 2013

Kerabu Bunga Betik

Many years ago when I was younger, my mom used to make kerabu bunga betik for our family potluck gatherings. It was always there and I loved the mixed flavours of the pungent onions, salty udang kering and most of all the slight bitterness of the bunga betik. 
It was the most delicious thing to eat with rice. Unfortunately, slowly but surely Mama stopped making this kerabu. Bunga betik is difficult to find. 
For years now I have been yearning to have this kerabu again but nobody has seen any bunga betik anywhere. I asked all my Aunts and Uncles, I scoured markets, googled online but bunga betik was never to be seen again.
And then suddenly, out of the blue, it happened.
Last week I went to the market and one lady was selling BUNGA BETIK!!! I immediately scooped up all the bunga betik she had and called Mama for the recipe. 
It turned out exactly like I remember. Best feeling ever.
For those of you who requested for the recipe on instagram, here it is:

Ingredients
Udang kering (almost the same amount as your bunga betik)
Kerisik
Shallots
Lime
Salt
Bunga betik

First, boil the bunga betik to remove the bitterness. I boiled for about fifteen minutes. You can do it longer or for less time, it is up to you really. After that, drain the hot water and dry out the flowers till they are completely dry.

Next, rinse the udang kering and blend it dry till it's really fine.

Slice the shallots finely.

Mix everything together and squeeze one or two limes, depending on how much bunga betik you have. 

Enjoy!

1 comment: